Friday, February 22, 2008

See ya' later, alligator...


There is truth to the saying that anytime you see a body of water in Florida, there will be alligators living in it. This retention pond is adjacent to the shopping center where I work. We have been seeing these alligators in there for about a month now. Rumor has it that there is three in there, the third one being the largest. We only saw two last night. There were two out and about. The first one, poor thing, had that plastic bag right near him. People, don't throw your trash anywhere you please! He came totally out of the water for his photo session. I estimate him to be about 5 feet from head to tail. The second alligator was partially submerged in the water and only lifted his head out.

I had a telephoto lens, I was not that close. You've heard about my fear of critters before; I just wanted to get some shots of these guys before they went away. It's funny, they know you're there. If they are just lazing in the water, when you come to the bank, they s.l.o.w.l.y turn in the water to face you. It's like, "I'm here, back off". Okey dokey, alligator, I don't want to pi** you off!

So here's a little taste of Florida for you all. Have a great Friday.

ciao!

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Oh, I thought it was a video at first because the alligator was slowing moving along... lol - I saw these too in St. Peterberg - was totally surprised that they have so much freedom!
Does Wal-Mart know you are advertising for them?!

Alhambra Club said...

glad to hear it was a telephoto lens, living in Florida I know what you mean about gators, and wish people would put there trash in the trash, the don't realize that it can be harmful. Have a great weekend.

Karen said...

great photos! We have our share of Gators also!

Corie said...

OH my alligators -- Glad to hear you were not that close.