"Just put your big girl panties on and deal with it!" This stamp just cracks meup. I love this whole line by Stamps Happen. They're the Dolly Mama's and
there are several, all with catchy quotes on them. Very sarcastic and edgy, right up my alley.
I have spent the last few days on the computer looking up information on my family for geneology research. There is a lot out there! I found a list of every ship that came into Ellis Island and other eastern ports, going back to 1800. I
found some family members ships, but not all.
It's hard for us to imagine these poor immigrants, spending what was an astronomical amount of money for them, looking to come to America for
a better life. The crossing must have been hard, to say the least. With no
comfort in steerage, I can only imagine the conditions they must have en-
dured. I found instances of babies being born mid-voyage, people dying
during the crossing, stoways and suicides. Most of the passengers on the
ships were separated into the haves and the have-nots. The wealthy were
referred to as "Ladies" and "gentlemen". The masses were referred to as
"laborers". Some of this separation of class is still alive and well today, no?
No politics here. Have a great weekend!
Ciao.

No comments:
Post a Comment